When it comes to media playback, most professional solutions available today are either laptop-based, or media-server based. This often comes with a steep learning curve and a range of reliability issues. The Instant Media Player is a hardware device that addresses the playback needs of the video, lighting and audio professionals and has currently no equivalent on the market.
The media player has a large onboard, flash-based, storage capacity, and is capable of recognising and playing most known video, audio and image files with a minimal loading delay. The device is equipped with the necessary hardware and software to make switching between two clips instant and seamless. Failure is not an option in the pro-AV and broadcast markets and so every precaution is taken on the hardware and software side to guarantee a continued smooth operation.
The device is capable of playing back nearly any multimedia file. It is a professional device aimed at the pro-AV and broadcast markets and therefore is housed in a durable rack mount 1U enclosure and equipped with professional, locking connectors.
The device can be controlled in several ways, including its on-board OLED display and encoder, web-based interface, DMX and more. External devices such as Elgato Stream Decks can also be connected directly to the media player for increased possibilities.
For the first time, users will be able to playback content without relying either on consumer-grade computers and third-party software or media servers that may be overkill for simple playback applications. Everything, including a built-in power supply, is embedded into the device’s sturdy 1U enclosure, and all the details have been meticulously designed to make it a piece of equipment professionals can rely on. It is the first hardware-based, complete playback solution that features 4 operation different modes (Playlist, Direct, A/B Playback and the upcoming Schedule mode.) Most of the device’s functions are which can be triggered through various methods and protocols such as:
- Programmable, RGB backlit buttons on the front panel.
- Elgato StreamDeck thru native support (no computer or third-party application needed)
- Web-based interface.
- REST API for integration with existing systems.
- DMX, including ArtNet and sACN, allowing control of most parameters from a lighting desk
- Support for other USB HID devices such as wireless clickers will be added shortly
By using a dedicated device instead of a laptop with multiple paths of failures, with the xPressPlay media player technicians on the job can now sure they are using something specifically built for their playback needs. It can very easily be integrated into existing workflows thanks to its flexible approach.
- The DMX control allows a lighting operator to synchronise its lighting and video cues seamlessly.
- The native StreamDeck integration allows a video operator to directly access several clips in an intuitive and graphical way, all without relying on a computer.
- The REST API makes integrating the xPressPlay to almost any A/V system a breeze, as the device can then be controlled by other devices.
- The network capabilities of the xPressPlay allow several devices to be linked together for multi-screen or backup purposes.
- The device can also easily be controlled on its own, thanks to the built-in interactive front panel interface and RGB buttons.
- The advanced onboard processing system can handle any video, picture or audio file and play it back seamlessly, in a completely transparent and intuitive manner to the user. Content can also be loaded and edited on the fly directly on the unit in last-minute scenarios, such as a presenter handing a technician a new version of his content on a USB stick minutes before going live (an all-too common occurrence in this industry).
2 x 12G/6G/3G/HD SDI BNC
HDMI 2.0 type A with locking system
2 x Analog audio XLR (+4 dBu) with LED level meters
Multi-channel audio embedded on all video outputs
Tri-level sync (BNC) with loop-thru (optional)
DMX-512 input and loop-thru on XLR5 with LED indicator
2 x Gigabit Ethernet ports on Neutrik EtherCON locking connectors
1 x USB 3.0 at front of device
1 x USB 2.0 at rear of device
Local User Interface
20 user-programmable, RGB-backlit, broadcast grade buttons
Full-color graphical OLED display with pushbutton encoder navigation
Cross-platform, cross-browser web interface
External Controller Support
Native support for Elgato StreamDeck (all models)
Native DMX-512 input
DMX-over-IP inputs in sACN and ArtNet
UDP-based synchronisation across devices
Self-documented HTTP REST API
3840x2160P60, 3840x2160P50, 3840x2160P30, 3840x2160P29, 3840x2160P25, 3840x2160P24, 3840x2160P23, 1920x1080P60, 1920x1080P59,
1920x1080P50,1920x1080P30, 1920x1080P29, 1920x1080P25, 1920x1080P24, 1920x1080P23, 1920x1080I60, 1920x1080I59, 1920x1080I50,
1280x720P60, 1280x720P59, 1280x720P50
Built-in scaling engine, adjustable AOI (Area of Interest)
Full-range colorimetry adjustments (R, G, B and Saturation)
Full-range brightness adjustment
Output Colour Space
HDMI: YUV 4:2:0 (8 bpc), YUV 4:2:2 (8 bpc), YUV 4:4:4 (8, 10, 12 bpc), RGB 4:4:4 (8, 10, 12 bpc)
DisplayPort: YUV 4:2:0 (8 bpc), YUV 4:2:2 (8 bpc), YUV 4:4:4 (8 bpc), RGB 4:4:4 (8 bpc)
12G-SDI: YUV 4:2:2 (10 bpc)
Audio Sample Rate
48KHz, 16 bit
Full-range audio volume adjustment
Professional M.2 solid-state drive (SSD)
Via web interface or directly using the USB connectors
Media File Support
Video, still image, audio
Apple MJPEG-B, Apple ProRes, DV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 2, H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10, HEVC, QuickTime (v210 / v308 / v408 / v410), WMV, FLV1/Sorenson
AAC, AAC+, AC-3, Apple lossless audio, MP1, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 ALS, PCM, WMA,
Still Image Formats
JPEG, JPEG-2000, PNG, BMP, GIF, TIFF
Height 43.43 mm (1.7 in) -1 RU
Depth 178 mm (7 in)
Width 482.6 mm (19 in)
Weight 3.75 kg (8.25 lbs)
0% to 90% non-condensing
Built-in power supply
PowerCON True1 in / loop-thru
Power Consumption 80W max
Voltage Range 100-240V, 50-60Hz
In the Box Theatrixx Instant Media Player
AC Mains to PowerCON True1 cable (1.5m, specify plug type at ordering, extra power cable on request)